Former IPL cricketer Paul Valthaty suffered a heartbreaking loss as his sister and nephew perished in a fire that erupted in a nine-story building in Kandivli on Monday, October 23.
During the incident, Valthaty was on the ground floor, helping to rescue other individuals who were also trapped in the same building.
Glory Roberts and her son, Joshua, were UK citizens who had travelled to India so that Glory could visit her ill mother. During the tragic fire incident, her husband Noel was also present in the building. He is said to have instructed his wife and son, as well as the household maids to safely exit the house.
The Roberts family resided on the fourth floor in apartment numbers 420 and 421. Paul Valthaty was present on the premises when the incident occurred. The fire is said to have started in the kitchen of apartment number 121.
According to reports, Glory, Joshua, and the maids managed to reach the first floor but were unable to proceed further due to the intense fire and heat. Their attempts to reach the terrace were unsuccessful. Regrettably, the maids are in critical condition. Glory, aged 43, and Joshua, a mere eight years old, were declared ‘brought dead at the hospital,’ marking a tragic outcome.
Paul Valthaty rose to prominence during the 2011 IPL season. He made a name for himself by delivering a remarkable performance notably scoring 120 runs against the Chennai Super Kings. In that season, he managed to gather a total of 463 runs.